Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sex and the City with a Man's Voice


On Polish TV, there are several television shows and movies from the United States and other countries. Poland uses voice-over translation for these shows. The only voice-overs that I have heard have been emotionless, monotone male voices. Rumor has it that woman's voices are too emotional to provide voice-overs. The picture here is of Janusz Szydłowski who is one of the famous voice-over guys in Poland.

So tonight, I turn on the TV and am excited to see that an episode of Sex and the City is on. I faintly hear Charlotte's girly voice in the background then I hear a man's voice speaking in Polish and dominating over the English. Then I recognize Carrie's voice in the background. Guess what voice is dominating Carrie's? It's the same old man's voice; completely expressionless despite a pained look on Carrie's face. And if I were to change the channel to something like HGTV, it would most likely be the same man's voice that I would be hearing. Same if I turned to an American movie...

Here's a link to a clip of the six famous voice-overs guys: http://www.joemonster.org/filmy/21945/Polscy_lektorzy_filmowi

Here is a wikipedia link describing voice-overs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice-over_translation

The good news is, that kids movies and tv shows are dubbed so you hear a variety of voices. Oh, and there is CNBC and BBC which both broadcast in English. My favorite thing to watch on TV is the NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams (in his original voice) @ 12:30 AM (6:30 PM EST) Monday-Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment